Thursday, July 29, 2010

A Continuation of the Flap Surgery

Well, yesterday I got an emergency situation where duty calls--- randomly. Our compound care taker cut his tongue during a basketball game that I had to suture it immediately. I was gonna plan on flap surgery, but because the tongue is the most "expressive" muscle in our entire body, I wouldn't be able to do it. So the usual surgery goes. The patient was in pain since anesthesia didn't help causing him to feel terrible  when I inserted the initial suture ( he did take some alcohol a day before this happened). My usual advice to those who are planning to have their teeth extracted is to never drink alcoholic beverages at least a week before the surgery.

I did gave him prophylactic medications and some just to alleviate the pain. The day ended with great relief when the bleeding stopped. It was an inch-long cut and I did only two stitches. As that was my first time to do such procedure on a tongue, since I usually deal with gingival and periodontal flaps-- the usual in the dental office.

2 comments:

  1. Dokie idol!! I didn't know dentists deal with tongues too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha lol, basically we don't deal more on tongues, but since its part of the oral cavity we can do that most especially for this case which was an emergency.

    ReplyDelete